15 March 2014

Today's Yoga Pose is the Wide Seated Forward Bend Pose

Today's Yoga Pose - as put out there in the One Minute Yoga group at SparkPeople - is the Wide Seated Forward Bend Pose, or the Upavistha Konasana. This pose is a nice stretcher, although my belly still gets in the way while doing it. Since doing the Yoga and Bodyflow classes at Universal Athletic Gym though, I have noticed that I am getting more flexible!

This pose stretches the adductor muscles of the groin, and the hamstring muscles. It is said to strengthen the spine and increases the blood flow to the pelvis.

The steps are quite simple. Sit with your legs at a 90 degree angle. (See the top photo - from My Yoga Online). Inhale, sitting tall. Stretching out your spine. Exhale and lean over and walk your hand straight out. Hold the position for about one minute, remembering to breathe. When done, exhale and walk your hands back up.

Some of the people in class are far more flexible than I am and can actually lean over so that their hands are on their feet and their chests lie pretty much flat on the floor in front of them. Their pose looks much like the second photo here (from Yoga Journal).

Personally, I am somewhere in between. Someday I hope to be able to reach out flat but as I said the belly still gets in the way. The chest does too sometimes. I guess I need to figure out a way to work around those areas.

1 comment: